Welcome to my blog! I love my life and I love my God!

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Music Choices

In Bible class this week we have been discussing music, and I'm feeling a bit conflicted about it. We are using a little booklet published by word of Life ministries. It tells us several things to look for when listening to music. The first thing my teacher established is that music can change our mood, and sometimes even our thoughts. I've definitely experienced a mood change while listening to music, though I'm not all that sure if I've  had a thought change. 
She then gave the Biblical requirements for music: that it must be glorifying to God, that it is not used for worldly purposes, and that it is sung for the right reasons and not to benefit one's self. She said this was for all music, not specifically for Christian music.
The next thing we discussed was music that is called Christian but does not bring glory to God, or is "watered-down" to make it more interesting for "worldly" people. She said that this music is downgrading to God and our faith. 
Then we got onto the subject of actual "worldly" music. I actually enjoy some secular music and artists. However, this booklet stated that a Christian's duty is to not listen to secular music, only Godly music. They gave the verse from Corinthians, "Everything is permissible to me, but not everything is beneficial; everything is permissible for me, but I will not be mastered by anything." Does this verse mean, in terms of music, that I shouldn't listen to secular music? Does it apply to nonsense songs like "Mood Rings"? 
Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment