Welcome to my blog! I love my life and I love my God!

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Getting Ready

Anybody else just realize that NaNoWriMo is next month??
Anyone else not really prepared?
I can say that I am.... not.
For any who may not know, NaNoWriMo is short for National Novel Writing Month. During the entire month of November, participants write and write and write to complete a 50,000-word novel. It's a really great, fun, slightly stressing but nevertheless enjoyable event.
I did it last year, writing a novel called Symphony. It's about a pair of twins with what you might call superpowers-one has telekinesis, the other telepathy. They were separated at birth. Ultimately, they meet and start a rebellion against the evil king. It's a medieval setting type of thing.
Now, since I go to school, don't have my own personal laptop, don't have unlimited time, and am not allowed to use the family laptop past 9 or in my room, I had to write my story out by hand. I thought I would just type it later. It's been nearly a year now, and I still have not finished typing it. Actually, I have barely started. I am what one might call lazy. Or possibly distracted. So I have maybe ten pages typed out and the rest in a binder somewhere... 
Anyway, this year my story is the same one, because it is too complicated to put into just one book. I have decided to split it into three books. So now I have to start planning. And I am really going to have to add things to make it long enough, because by golly it is not long enough on its own. 
Anyway, the reason I'm writing this is only partly to complain about how unready I am. I figured, since I have exactly one year of experience, I would a) give some planning advice that I got from others, and b) ask for advice form any who have done this more than I have. 
So, here is my advice.
1. Write the basic outline of how your narrative is going to unfold. This is really helpful if you get stuck with writer's block in the middle of the month and don't know what to do-you can refer back to your notes that you wrote before you started your novel and just go by that. And one thing you have to realize is that your novel does not have to be perfect while you are writing. (Actually, the leaders of NaNoWriMo tell you this. They send you lots of little helpful messages. It's really quite nice. :D) You don't have to have a perfect writing style or be extremely eloquent in your words. The most important thing is the writing. 
2. Write out your characters' bios. Yes, it's good to have character development and all that, but again, it's helpful to have something to refer back to
Finally, 3. Have someone (or more than one someone, that's fine too ;D) to critique you and to offer ideas, advice, etc. This is extremely helpful not only in the planning stages but also while you're writing, especially when your idea-making machine is spent. 

*Bows*

Now, if you guys have any advice for moi, I am ready and willing to hear it :) Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment